STEVEN HELPS LICENSED FACILITIES AND PROFESSIONALS IN THE HEALTHCARE FIELD WITH LEGAL ISSUES INCLUDING TRANSACTIONS, CONTRACTS, AND REGULATORY COMPLIANCE
Steven is a board certified healthcare law specialist. He has extensive experience working with physicians, physician groups, senior living facilities, home health agencies, and related healthcare workers throughout Florida.
He regularly assists clients with professional and facility licensing, regulatory compliance, acquisition and development of facilities, Medicare/Medicaid issues and appeals, DEA issues, provider contracting, and administrative law. He provides counsel regarding transaction structuring, physician employment, federal and private payor issues, HIPAA, Medicare and Medicaid enrollment and revalidation, and state and federal licensure matters.
His experience includes appearances before the Division of Administrative Hearings and State Boards, including nursing, medicine, dentistry, chiropractic, real estate, veterinary medicine, and pharmacy; Department of Health investigations and administrative complaints; administrative appeals to Florida District Courts; academic medical centers and graduate medical education matters; and working with impaired practitioners and IPS/PRN.
Steven’s background practicing medicine and medical management consulting provides him a deep understanding of the industry and his clients’ needs. As a management consultant for corporations and small businesses, Steven helped clinics, health systems, physician practices, and pharmaceutical companies with their operational, financial, IT, and strategy needs.
Steven completed an internal medicine internship at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Mercy Hospital, where his patient care experience involved inpatient, outpatient, surgical, and emergency settings. He then pursued his interest in healthcare policy and administration. In addition, he has received certification in Health Care Compliance from the Health Care Compliance Association.
Steven writes and speaks on healthcare topics including the role of personalized medicine and molecular diagnostics in the treatment of breast cancer, optimization of diagnostic imaging equipment at ambulatory surgery centers, trends in health industry management and leadership, and biosimilars and patent protection strategies.
- Counsel for $100 million purchase of group of nursing homes and Continuing Care Retirement Communities with multiple campuses
- Counsel on purchase, sale, joint venture, financing, and acquisition of assisted living facilities
- Represented a senior housing client regarding corporate, tax, operational, compliance, real estate, and financing issues in the sale of a senior living community in Arizona consisting of 128 skilled nursing beds and a 50-bed long-term acute care hospital
- Defended a physician’s license from revocation for an alleged telemedicine violation before Florida Division of Administrative Hearings
- Represented a home health agency with regard to a Medicare audit by a Zone Program Integrity Contractor and significantly reduced the alleged overpayment claimed by the ZPIC
- Prevented a nurse practitioner’s license from revocation by obtaining a complete drop of all charges by the Department of Health by demonstrating that the nurse practitioner was not subject to the statute cited
- Obtained a settlement agreement on behalf of a physician to avoid civil litigation and prevent the physician’s former practice from disparaging him
- Florida State University College of Medicine Sarasota Regional Campus, Community Board Member
- Florida Health Care Association, 2019—2020 Survey and Regulatory Committee
- Florida Assisted Living Association
- American Health Lawyers
- The E. Harris Drew Award, Stetson University College of Law
- Riverview High School (Oakmont, Pennsylvania) Distinguished Alumni Award