Mike practices tax, corporate, and business law handling sophisticated tax planning and tax controversy matters and advising clients on their most significant business transactions. Mike serves as outside general counsel to businesses of all sizes in many different industries.
He is certified as a tax specialist by the Florida Bar and handles federal, state, and international tax planning matters. Mike also represents clients during the tax audit process, before the Internal Revenue Service Appeals Office, before the Internal Revenue Service National Office in connection with requests for rulings and technical advice, and before the Florida Department of Revenue in connection with audits, appeals, and ruling requests. Mike also represents clients before the United States Tax Court and the Congressional Joint Committee on Taxation.
Mike advises clients on sales, acquisitions, mergers, joint ventures, private equity and venture capital investments, capital raising transactions, tax-exempt bond financings, credit facilities, business succession, and other business transactions. He also handles corporate governance and general commercial matters.
Mike has been a member of the firm's management committee since 2009 and is the firm's treasurer.
Mike’s representative matters include:
- Counsel for sale of $80 million senior housing business and post-sale joint venture, development, and management structure
- Counsel for leveraged acquisition of a $74 million healthcare business
- Counsel for sale of $70 million national franchisor to a private equity fund
- Counsel for acquisition of $40 million multi-campus senior housing business
- Counsel for sale of software company for $34 million in cash and stock to a publicly traded company
- Counsel for numerous purchase and sale transactions ($100+ million in the aggregate) in the insurance industry (including claims management businesses)
- Counsel for the purchase and sale of numerous transactions in the $10 million to $30 million range in a variety of industries, including manufacturing, software, healthcare, intellectual technology, insurance, and consumer products
- Counsel for a private equity fund in the roll-up of 17 healthcare clinics in multiple states
- Representation of borrowers in debt finance transactions, including a $91.35 million credit facility for a healthcare business, $80.25 million credit facility for a healthcare business, $77.56 million credit facility for a healthcare business, $57.4 million credit facility for a healthcare business, $43.75 million credit facility for a marketing business, and $27.50 million credit facility for a manufacturing business
- Representation of conduit borrowers in tax-exempt bond transactions, including a $350 million offering for a hospital, a $38.5 million offering for a senior housing facility, a $35 million offering for a senior housing facility, a $23.75 million offering for a private school, and a $20 million offering for a private school
- Outside general counsel to $300 million consumer services company with operations in the United States and multiple countries in Europe and Asia
- Tax and corporate counsel to family offices
- Created tax planning strategy for real estate developers to generate significant ordinary income tax losses, and successfully defended the strategy before the Internal Revenue Service and the Congressional Joint Committee on Taxation
- Representation of several affiliated taxpayers in settling four-year, $16 million IRS audit for $1.9 million