John is a board certified tax attorney and chairs the firm’s Corporate and Tax practices.
He represents executives, entrepreneurs, and real estate investors in tax, transactional, capital raising, estate planning, and estate administration matters.
His experience is reflected in his representative matters:
- Private developer’s counsel in relocation, public-private real estate co-development, and financing for Atlanta Braves spring training stadium and surrounding mixed use development
- Negotiated $1.5 billion platform real estate joint venture and local partner joint ventures with global private equity firms
- Negotiated global resolution of estate holding approximately 100 closely-held business interests
- Negotiated long-term capital gain-eligible carried interest joint venture in multi-phase real estate entitlement joint venture
- Negotiated joint venture for Publix supermarket anchored commercial shopping center acquisition, development, and operation
- Negotiated joint venture for acquisition and entitlement of golf course, for repurposing as a residential community
- Represented development team in $200 million joint venture with global private equity firm for acquisition of multi-state residential real estate development community portfolio
- Represented development team in joint venture with national homebuilder for acquisition of 9,500 acre, 11,000 unit mixed-used, multi-phase development project site
- Seller’s counsel and tax counsel in $50 million business disposition
- Tax counsel in sale and tax deferred joint venture transactions with public REIT
- Obtained Tax Court order reversing $3 million IRS Collection Due Process Levy determination
- Designed individualized estate plans for entrepreneurs and other high net worth individuals
- Tax counsel in estate, gift, and income tax disputes, including valuation disputes, with the Internal Revenue Service
- Obtained first-of-its-kind private letter ruling from the Internal Revenue Service approving a legal structure for independent “qualified intermediaries” in tax-deferred Internal Revenue Code Section 1031 exchange transactions
- Tax counsel in $110 million multi-state multi-property 1031 exchange
- Negotiated joint venture for acquisition, development and resale of multi-phase, mixed use downtown mid-rise redevelopment project
- Negotiated and structured compensation for executive management in private equity portfolio companies and other private enterprises
- Negotiated licensing agreement for multi-acre artificial recreational water feature utilizing Crystal Lagoons technology
Additionally, John serves as an editor of The Williams Parker Business & Tax blog, which focuses on current issues and important legal developments pertaining to business and tax matters.
John joined the firm after serving as a Visiting Assistant Professor at the University of Florida College of Law and was named a shareholder in 2003. He is licensed to practice in Louisiana as well as Florida.