BARRY FOCUSES ON ESTATE AND TRUST LITIGATION
With over a half a century at the bar, Barry Spivey was in the initial class of board certified attorneys in wills, trusts, and estates in 1986 by the Florida Bar Board of Legal Specialization.
His practice has evolved over 40 years, from having an exclusive focus on estate planning and administration to today’s predominate focus on estate and trust litigation. He is a fellow of the American College of Estate and Trust Counsel (ACTEC) and serves on its Fiduciary Litigation Committee. His litigation practice includes representation of personal representatives, trustees, and beneficiaries in will and trust contests, fiduciary surcharge and removal proceedings, guardianship litigation, the modification and termination of irrevocable trusts, and appellate proceedings, among others.
Barry is a former director of the Sarasota County Bar Association and the Community Foundation of Sarasota County, has served on and chaired numerous Florida Bar committees, and has received many honors, including the William S. Belcher Lifetime Professionalism Award.
- The Florida Bar, Executive Council, Real Property Probate & Trust Law (RPPTL) Section
- The Florida Bar, Chair, Ad Hoc Jurisdiction & Service of Process Committee of the RPPTL Section
- The Florida Bar, Ad Hoc Rule Against Perpetuities Committee of the RPPTL Section
- The Florida Bar, Probate and Trust Litigation Committee of the RPPTL Section
- The Florida Bar, Appellate Practice Section
- The American College of Trust & Estate Counsel, Fiduciary Litigation Committee
- The American College of Trust & Estate Counsel, Past Chair, Trust Situs & Conflicts of Law Subcommittee
- Community Foundation of Sarasota County, Director
- Florida Super Lawyers
- Best Lawyers in America
- Florida’s Legal Elite
- William S. Belcher Lifetime Professionalism Award (RPPTL Section, The Florida Bar)