Jim is a tax and real estate attorney
Jim’s background as a CPA and businessman involved in his extended family’s agribusiness enterprises inform his unusually diverse practice experience. He regularly represents family business owners, entrepreneurs, and real estate investors in tax, transactional, financing, operational, succession, and estate planning matters. His experience includes joint venture, partnership, limited liability company, and other co-investment arrangements; mergers and acquisitions; individualized estate and succession planning for closely held business owners; and tax advantaged real estate and business transactions.
Jim has substantial experience throughout southwest Florida with acquisition, development, operation, leasing, financing (including securitized loans and loan defeasance), sales and tax planning related to commercial real estate, including shopping centers, industrial warehouse and flex-space properties, storage facilities, office buildings, apartments, and agribusiness properties. Jim is known statewide for his representation of developers, owners, and operators of manufactured housing communities and RV parks.
Jim is a fourth-generation Floridian. He was born and raised in Sarasota and joined the firm upon graduating from law school. Jim became a partner in 1986.
- Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Florida Manufactured Housing Association
- International Council of Shopping Centers, Associate Member
- Samartian Counseling, Board of Directors
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV Preeminent
- Best Lawyers
- Florida Trend, Legal Elite
- Top Rated Lawyer in Trusts and Estates Law selected by American Law Media and Martindale-Hubbell