John chairs the firm’s Corporate and Tax practices
John represents executives, entrepreneurs, and investors in tax, transactional, capital raising, and business-related estate matters, with a focus on real estate industries.
John joined the firm after serving as a visiting assistant professor at the University of Florida College of Law.
- Counsel to regional modular homebuilder in $153 million business acquisition by publicly-traded competitor.
- Counsel to U.S. regional homebuilder in $500 million business acquisition by and joint venture with publicly-traded Japanese homebuilding company.
- Counsel in $680 million RIDEA joint venture with public REIT for the ownership, operation, and management of 36 senior housing communities in 12 states
- Counsel to Florida licensee in regulated, vertically integrated medical agribusiness joint venture
- Private developer’s counsel in relocation, public-private real estate co-development, and financing for Atlanta Braves spring training stadium and surrounding mixed use development
- Counsel to off-site manufacturer in $100 million acquisition by a national public homebuilder
- Negotiated $1.5 billion platform real estate joint venture and local partner joint ventures with global private equity firms
- Negotiated global resolution of estate holding approximately 100 closely held business interests
- Counsel to operating partner in $200 million land banking platform joint venture with private equity partner.
- Negotiated $200 million joint venture with global private equity firm for acquisition of multi-state single-family residential development portfolio
- Negotiated joint venture with national homebuilder for acquisition of 9,500-acre, 11,000-unit, mixed-used, multiphase development project site
- Developer’s counsel in sale and tax deferred joint venture transactions with public REIT
- Designed individualized estate plans for entrepreneurs and other high net worth individuals
- Tax counsel in estate, gift, and income tax disputes, including valuation disputes, with the Internal Revenue Service
- Obtained first-of-its-kind private letter ruling from the Internal Revenue Service approving a legal structure for independent “qualified intermediaries” in tax-deferred Internal Revenue Code Section 1031 exchange transactions
- Tax counsel in $110 million multi-state, multi-property 1031 exchange
- The Argus Foundation, Director and Past President
- American Bar Association Section of Taxation, Sales, Exchanges, and Basis Committee
- Continuing Professional Education Lectures— IRS, ABA Section of Taxation, FICPA
- Florida Bar, Twelfth Circuit Grievance Committee, Former Chair
- School Readiness Coalition of Sarasota County, Past Director
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV Preeminent Best Lawyers
- Florida Trend, Legal Elite
- Top Rated Lawyer in Trusts and Estates Law selected by American Law Media and Martindale-Hubbell
- Florida Super Lawyers, 2021, 2022
- Best Lawyers in America, Tax Law, 2010-2023